is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

How to Perform a Name Change on Car Registration in Massachusetts

Procedures for changing name on car registration documents in Massachusetts are in place for resident vehicle owners. The process to change name on registration requires several steps and documents as determined by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). For residents wondering, “How do I change my name on my car registration?” the answer involves a few steps and making choices. Learn how to change name on car registration and what information is required to perform a Massachusetts name change on car registration by reading through the sections.

When is updating Massachusetts car registration required?

Changing name on car registration occurs anytime the Social Security Administration recognizes a person’s name change. Before you can change your name on car registration documents, you must first follow the procedures established by the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration establishes that a name change is a legally binding change. Only an official Social Security card change can be used to update name on vehicle registration paperwork.

You cannot complete a name change with the Social Security Administration online, by mail or by phone. You must visit your local Social Security Administration in person to complete this process. Auto registration name change starts with bringing your legal documents to the Social Security Administration. Changes that qualify for vehicle registration name change include marriage, divorce and legal name change by court order. You can update your name change on car registration as a U.S. citizen or as a legal U.S. resident. However, the guidelines for legal name change on car registration information are different for U.S. citizens than for U.S. residents.

For U.S. citizens, you can provide proof of marriage, divorce or court-ordered name change to the Social Security Administration. All documents for car registration name change must be original documents.

The Social Security Administration recognized U.S. Tribal designation. You can apply to change your name on car registration if you have official documental of your tribal name change issued by a tribal authority.

For U.S. residents, you can provide proof of marriage, divorce or court ordered name change. However, you cannot change your name on auto registration if your name change occurred before you received your immigration documents. You can only legally change your name with the Social Security Administration if your name change occurred after you received official immigration documents. The name printed on your immigration document is considered your legal name.

What are the penalties for not changing name on car registration in Massachusetts?

A car registration name change in Massachusetts must occur within 30 days. If you do not process your name change, car registration documents could be rendered invalid. Additionally, for purposes of car ownership, you may not be able to provide proof that your car belongs to you. If your name is not updated, then your insurance information may not match your car registration documents. This could result in a citation for driving without verified insurance.

In these cases, you could experience a suspension of your auto registration. Name change on vehicle registration is vital to prevent you from paying fees for reinstating your registration. Additionally, if you do not correct the name on your registration and continue to drive your car after suspension, an additional registration suspension or citation could be issued.

Documents Required for Massachusetts Registration Name Change

A car registration name change in Massachusetts is crucial for keeping an up-to-date record with the RMV. Changing your name on car registration is necessary according to the guidelines set up by the RMV and should occur as soon as possible. Having the wrong name on a registration may be cause for penalties or create problems with obtaining insurance. In order to change name on car registration name in MA, applicants will need to be able to provide the following information to state officials:

  • Proof of identification (driver’s license, state-issued ID, military ID, etc.)
  • Proof of name change such as marriage certificate, divorce document or court papers issued in the U.S.
  • Current car registration
  • Social Security card

How to Change Name on Massachusetts Car Registration

The Massachusetts name change car registration process is a necessary aspect of owning any car, truck, motorcycle or other type of motor vehicle in the state. Including changing name on vehicle registration, the RMV requires that residents maintain records with current information. Once the Social Security Administration has processed the name change, residents may request to amend their car registration to reflect their new name. Vehicle owners should keep in mind that they also must apply separately to amend information on their respective car titles. Completing a name change on car registration requires petitioners to complete the RMV-3 form. The driver’s insurance agent must also stamp the application. In Massachusetts, the process for changing name on vehicle registration is possible in two ways; in person and by mail. Vehicle owners can furnish the application at their local RMV service center or mail the application and required fees to the RMV in Boston.

The process to change name on car registration is not available by phone. However, the RMV is available by phone to answer questions regarding car registration name change, address change and more. Get more details about how to change name on car registration by reaching the RMV at one of the following telephone numbers:

Residents in area codes 339, 617, 781, and 857, or outside Massachusetts should call:

(857) 368-8000

Residents in all other area codes within Massachusetts should call:

(800) 858-3926

Hearing impaired residents should TTY at:

(877) 768-8833